Safeguarding CCTV footage. There are various procedures one can adhere to in order to safeguard CCTV footage, the following below are some of the basic steps in safeguarding CCTV footage:
- Change passwords from time to time. The key is to never over-rely on the use of strong or long passwords. The best possible way to ensure that your password is doing its job effectively, is to change it on a regular basis.
- Software updates. Updating of your CCTV software is crucial, because an out dated system can eventually lead to exposure of vulnerabilities, since the issues linked to older systems may start to become well known amongst hackers or malicious persons.
- Wireless cameras require WPA2 Encryption. If you happen to possess a wireless camera, it is crucial to join into a WPA2-encrypted wireless network, so as to block wireless eavesdroppers from accessing your video feeds.
Setting up Hikvision DVR for google drive recording. In order to record surveillance footage from your Hikvision DVR to the cloud, you may want to look into considering an inexpensive cloud platform such as Google Drive, oneDrive or Dropbox.
The following steps below will help you in storing your CCTV footage to the cloud:
- Hikvision DVR setup. First, open the DVR on the web browser and click on the ‘configuration’ button on the top side of the screen on the right. Since the Hikvision DVR transmits a video stream to the internet in order to record it into the Google Drive server, it makes use of the ‘Sub Stream’ feature.
- Substream setup. This is done by clicking on the ‘Video/Audio’ button on the left menu. Select the channel you would like to configure for your cloud recording. You can change the resolution, video quality, frame rate and make sure to leave the Bitrate type as ‘Variable’ in order to save bandwidth.
- Event Setup. Setting up events, such as ‘motion detection’, is a better way to record a video from the DVR into the Google Drive. This is achieved when a movement causes the camera to trigger the video recording process. In order to set up the motion detection, click on the ‘Basic Event’ button on the left menu and enable motion detection.
- Setting up google drive recording. In order to start this, open the storage management menu and click on ‘Cloud Storage’. You will then have an option to select between Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. After that, choose the ‘Google Drive’ as the cloud type and click the ‘Get’ button. A second window will then appear to enable you to choose your google drive account. After clicking on ‘Allow’ on the google pop-up, the next window will appear, showing you a code that you will have to use in order to authorize the application to have access to your drive, make sure you copy and paste it into the DVR setup in the ‘Authorization Code’ textbox. After these steps are completed, the status information will change from ‘offline’ to ‘online’. You should now have your DVR linked to the cloud.
For the best deals on CCTV cameras, look no further. Here at LECOL, we have a variety of CCTV cameras that are efficient for various purposes including security. Get in touch with us for more information on our CCTV cameras and installation services.